Aunts and Uncles is a Philadelphia-based project designed to lend funds, encouragement, and expertise to Fair Trade and local entrepreneurs who don’t have support from friends and family, as many new businesspeople from more privileged backgrounds do. Twenty-five investors contribute $2,000 a piece into a pooled loan fund and serve as “aunts and uncles” to entrepreneurs with creative, profitable, and socially responsible business proposals, which they pitch to the circle. Once the investees are selected, each one receives a low-interest loan as well as a commitment by a sub-group or “pod” of aunts and uncles to provide technical assistance and moral support to the individual and the endeavor. Aunts and Uncles is deliberately small and requires virtually no operating expenses, making it a replicable model for small-scale, community-oriented, family-style economic development.
Home » Aunts and Uncles
Aunts and Uncles
Every spring is the only spring — a perpetual astonishment.
— Ellis Peters
africa anniversary bcorp bicycles Chester clean energy coffee community development cooperative cora Devon Walls divine chocolate donations donors Donor Tours eco business ecozoom education Elizabeth Equal Exchange Fair Trade farmer-owned Freedmen's Art Alliance green business hal Media PA native energy New Day Chester organic Pa Pachamama Philadelphia press public safety second-chance employer social entrepreneurship sostenica sustainable development travel untours untours travel urban issues Wash Cycle Laundry Washington D.C. women's health
- Alix takes a Scotland Untour!
- Getting Past Inertia: Ten Simple, Valiant Steps To Align Your Foundation’s Endowment With Your Mission – Or Not
- New Day Chester ignites growth through the arts
- Videos from the UnGala!
- UnGala Gratitude
- A Town-and-Country Company
- Ties that bind: Knotty Tie and the Refugee Crisis
- Thanksgiving Feast and a Straw Bale Community Center at Standing Rock
- FOUNDATIONS: PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MISSION IS
- BEAUTIFUL BUSINESS FOR RE-BUILT BOOBS